E-Visa Australia

Settlement Information

When you arrive in Australia as a migrant, you should do the following things first:

At the Airport Declare everything you have brought. The best option is "WHEN IN DOUBT, DECLARE". It is better than taking the risk if you are unsure, because it can lead to hefty fines. Unprocessed food items are generally difficult to get through the Quarantine here. Plants and soil are also strictly prohibited. The website outlining the Australian quarantine guidelines is www.customs.gov.au


It is better to pre-arrange temporary accommodation for a few weeks so that you have a place to get to from the airport. If you are a state/ territory sponsored migrant, you may get some assistance with temporary accommodation if you inform them of your arrival well in advance. You can also pre-book temporary accommodation by surfing the net using Google to search for 'Accommodation’ and typing in ‘the relevant Australian city’. You may also like to try the website: www.wotif.com If you are single and migrating, you can look up the listings at the airport. Use the free numbers listed there and ask for a quote on the weekly stay. If you are migrating with family, you would need to arrange temporary accommodation for a week or two prior to arrival until you are able to rent an apartment or house.

After Getting Here

Long-term accommodation

To find real estate agents, you can look in the Yellow Pages. Most real estate agents have a listing online as well as in their offices. You will have the option of signing a lease for 6 months or 12 months. There will be an associated Rental bond (4-6 weeks of rent) depending on the accommodation you sign up for. As a first time renter, you might also need some bank statements to prove your ability to pay rent. Once you are employed, payslips will be accepted as proof of your ability to pay. 

Some helpful real estate sites are:

Once your temporary accommodation issue is resolved, you should do the following as soon as possible.

  • Apply for a Tax File Number (TFN). You need a Tax File Number (TFN) to receive any kind of income in Australia. You can apply for your TFN online anytime at www.ato.gov.au
  • Open a Bank Account. You will need a bank account to receive most types of income in Australia including salaries. Please go to any convenient bank close to your residence with your passport and other identification documents to open a bank account. Couples may consider opening a joint bank account.

Register with the Medicare. Go to the nearest Medicare office with your family and your passports to register with MEDICARE. Medicare is a government scheme that provides assistance with your basic medical expenses. The Medicare website has been incorporated into the Department of Human Services website. Medicare information has been moved to a single entry point for health, social and welfare payment and services. Further information can be found at www.humanservices.gov.au

Register with the Centrelink. The Centrelink website has been incorporated into the Department of Human Services website. The new site is a convenient, single entry point for health, social and welfare payment and services. Centrelink can help you in your job search and help you with Family Assistance payments to help with the cost of bringing up a family. Further information can be found at www.humanservices.gov.au

  • Register for English Classes if required. Migrants who need to improve their English language skills may be eligible for the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP). Please check this at this link: http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/help-with-english/amep/
  • Enrol your children at school. It is compulsory in Australia that children attend school until they are 15 years old. Enquire about the schools in your area and enrol your children in suitable schools.
  • Apply for your driver’s licence: If you hold a driver’s licence from your country, you are likely to be able to drive in Australia for the first three months of your arrival. After that, you will need a driving license from the state or territory you live. The state and territory contact details for driving licences are given below:

State/TerritoryContact Details
New South Wales (NSW)See: Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA)
Victoria (VIC)See: Vic roads
Queensland (QLD)See: Licensing & registration
South Australia (SA)See: Welcome to Transport SA
Western Australia (WA)See: Licensing services
Tasmania (TAS)See: Transport - TAS
Australian Capital Territory (ACT)See: Road transport information management
Northern Territory (NT)See: Driver licensing

Beginning a Life in Australia - Booklet.

The Beginning a Life in Australia booklet is produced by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) and is published online at www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/beginning-life. Ideally, it should be viewed on a computer as it has links to many websites that will provide you with additional information. The booklet is available in PDF format.

The Beginning a Life in Australia booklet is for prospective and newly-arrived migrants, refugees and humanitarian entrants to Australia providing you with a basic introduction to various services. They provide useful national, state/territory and local settlement information. These booklets are made available as PDF files. To read or print the booklets, you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader, version 5 or later, on your computer. More information is available on PDF files.

The booklet should help you find the answers to most of your queries to start a new life in Australia.


There are six states in Australia: New South Wales (NSW), Queensland (Qld), South Australia (SA), Tasmania (Tas.), Victoria (Vic.) and Western Australia (WA).

The following links should take you to the respective State/Territory government entry points, their online services and contact directories.

www.act.gov.au(533KB) (Australian Capital Territory)
www.nsw.gov.au(598KB) (New South Wales)
www.nt.gov.a(540KB) (Northern Territory)
www.qld.gov.au(544KB) (Queensland)
www.sa.gov.au(545KB) (South Australia)
www.tas.gov.au(573KB) (Tasmania)
www.vic.gov.au(617KB) (Victoria)
wa.gov.au(556KB) (Western Australia)

Job Search Information

The first thing to do regarding employment is to register with the local Centrelink office. The facilities at their offices include printing out listings of local opportunities for free, and getting advice on local jobs and conditions.
It is important that you have a well-written resume/CV detailing your qualifications, training and work experience. Include a minimum of personal details which will include your name, address, contact telephone number, email address and any other appropriate information such as whether you hold a driver's license. It is advisable to get your CV professionally written. You can find contact details of professional resume writers from the newspapers or the yellow page directory.It is important that you tailor your job applications to suit each job you apply for ensuring you have addressed the selection criteria requested. Sending the same CV for all the jobs may not produce the desired result

Links to employment sites

Most employers advertise for positions online. Here are a number of useful sites, some of them specific to types of industries and trades:

Recruitment firms:

How To Write A CV For Applying For A Job In Australia?


living in australia